How do you set up a TD Bank account in the US?

If you're an existing TD Canada Trust customer, you can set up a TD Bank account through Cross-Border Banking. You can also apply online via the TD Bank website using the application form that's designed for Canadian residents.

TD Bank is one of the easiest avenues for Canadians to set up a US-domiciled bank account. Their Convenience Checking option is great for avoiding monthly fees by simply maintaining a low balance of US$100 in the account.

If you’re a TD Canada Trust customer, you can call the Cross-Border Banking team at 1-877-700-2913 to set up a TD Bank account with a live agent. The benefit of doing this is that your TD Bank account will be linked to your TD Canada Trust account, making future cross-border money transfers a real breeze.

Otherwise, you can apply online via the TD Bank website. It’ll ask you whether you live in the US or Canada and direct you to the corresponding application form.

You can only use the US form if you have a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Otherwise, use the form for Canadian residents – we can add your US address later.

The form will allow you to enter two addresses – a primary one and a secondary one. You must enter your Canadian address for the primary one, but you can list the secondary address as your US mail forwarder.


Once your account is all set up, observe your account’s monthly statements to see which address gets listed. If it’s the Canadian one, give TD Bank a call and ask them to change the primary address to the US one. You’ll want to use these bank statements as a way to verify your address when you apply for US credit cards.

You can even ask them to set your US address as your primary address while maintaining your Canadian address as your mailing address. This way, you can use your TD bank statements as address verification in the US, and yet you don’t need to pay any forwarding fees for any communications from TD Bank, since they’re sent directly to your Canadian residence.

Last updated 17 November 2018. Any questions?
Contact me.