Bonuses & Fees
The TD Aeroplan Visa Business has historically offered some very high signup bonuses. Right now, the offer is pretty strong as well.
Until August 16, 2021, you’ll earn 25,000 Aeroplan points and an Air Canada Buddy Pass as a signup bonus:
- 10,000 Aeroplan points upon first purchase,
- 15,000 Aeroplan points upon spending upon spending $5,000 (non-Quebec) or keeping your account open and in good standing (Quebec) in the first three months
- Air Canada Buddy Pass upon spending upon spending $1,000 (non-Quebec) or keeping your account open and in good standing (Quebec) in the first three months
The annual fee of $149 is also waived for the first year.
The signup bonus of 25,000 Aeroplan points is pretty typical of the offers we’ve seen on this card, but the Buddy Pass adds exceptional value.
Some travellers might use the Air Canada Buddy Pass, which is essentially a buy-one-get-one voucher for paid Air Canada economy class flights within North America. The Buddy Pass would be a good fit for couples or families who travel at peak times when cash fares are high.
Otherwise, you may prefer to convert your Buddy Pass into an additional 30,000 Aeroplan points. If you fly solo or prefer business class or overseas travel, that would be a better choice, bringing your total haul to 55,000 Aeroplan points. That’s an amazing offer, surpassing the card’s all-time high and one of the best currently available.
Whether you use the Buddy Pass or convert it into Aeroplan points, you can only earn one Buddy Pass every 12 months between this card and the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Business. If you’d like to open another card in the “business” Aeroplan category, you’ll only receive the Buddy Pass once, so keep that in mind as you plan your expected welcome bonuses.
Supplementary cards can be added to your account, and the first two supplementary cards can benefit from the first-year annual fee waiver as well. After the first year, they’ll be subject to a fee of $49 per card.
In terms of the return on everyday spending, the TD Aeroplan Visa Business offers:
- 2 Aeroplan points per dollar spent on Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations
- 1.5 Aeroplan points per dollar spent on shipping, internet, cable, phone, dining, and travel
- 1 Aeroplan point per dollar spent on everything else
The earn rates are identical to the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Business, and are somewhat comparable to the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite geared towards consumer cardholders. While the return on bonus categories is decent, there are also arguably better choices on the market, too.
Having said that, if you’re a small business owner who spends a lot on shipping, internet, cable, and phone purchases, then this card might be the right fit, since there aren’t many other products offering bonus earn rates on these categories.
Perks & Benefits
As with the personal variant, the TD Aeroplan Visa Business prides itself upon a strong set of Air Canada travel benefits. As a cardholder, you’ll receive:
- Free first checked bag on Air Canada flights, for the primary and supplementary cardholders
- Preferred pricing when redeeming Aeroplan points for Air Canada flights
- The ability to earn 1,000 Status Qualifying Miles (SQM) and 1 Status Qualifying Segment (SQS) for every $5,000 you spend on the card
- Your Aeroplan points won’t expire for as long as you’re a cardholder
On top of that, a unique perk on this card comes in the form of a $100 NEXUS credit, which is not offered by either CIBC and American Express in this product category.
Insurance-wise, the TD Aeroplan Visa Business Card is relatively strong, and is mostly on par with the personal TD Aeroplan card with a few exceptions:
Emergency medical insurance of up to $2,000,000 on the first 15 days of a trip (4 days for cardholders aged 65 and up); this is a higher coverage amount but lower coverage duration compared to the personal card
Delayed and lost baggage insurance of up to $1,000 per person towards the purchase of essential items if your baggage is delayed by more than six hours or lost
- Trip cancellation / trip interruption: For Trip cancellation, up to $1500 per person or $5000 combined and trip interruption of $5000 per person or $25,000 combined
Flight delay insurance of up to $500 if your flight is delayed by more than four hours
$500,000 Common Carrier Accident insurance, which protects you in case of a travel-related accident
Auto rental damage & loss insurance, which can help you save on the insurance fees that car rental companies would otherwise charge
As with the personal card, the insurance ought to apply to Aeroplan award tickets when you charge the full taxes and fees of the redemption ticket on your TD Aeroplan Visa Business, which is a very valuable benefit since there aren’t many credit cards out there that provide insurance on award travel.