The American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card is one of the premium credit cards partnered with Air Canada’s loyalty program. It’s a great choice for its large signup bonus, and a blend of premium perks from both Aeroplan and American Express.
Bonuses & Fees
As American Express’s high-end Aeroplan co-branded credit card, the American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card currently offers 90,000 Aeroplan points and an Air Canada Buddy Pass (convertible into 30,000 Aeroplan points) as part of its signup offer.
The bonus is distributed as follows:
- 30,000 Aeroplan points and an Air Canada Buddy Pass upon spending $3,000 within the first three months
- 5,000 Aeroplan points in each of the first 12 months when you spend $1,000, up to a total of 60,000 Aeroplan points
The card has an annual fee of $599.
You can refer friends and family from the Aeroplan Reserve Card to Aeroplan Reserve Cards or Aeroplan Business Reserve Cards of their own, earning a referral bonus of 10,000 Aeroplan points each time, up to a maximum of 150,000 Aeroplan points in a calendar year.
As a limited time offer, the first referral you make before October 27, 2021 will trigger a 3x bonus points offer for all your purchases between November 25, 2021 and February 28, 2022, up to 75,000 bonus Aeroplan points.
The Aeroplan Reserve Card also allows you to add supplementary cardholders for $199 apiece; alternatively, you can also add the lower-tier Aeroplan Card for your authorized users for $50 apiece.
In terms of the returns on everyday spending, the American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card has a very unique structure, offering cardholders:
- 3 Aeroplan points per dollar spent on Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations
- 2 Aeroplan points per dollar spent on dining and food delivery
- 1.25 Aeroplan points per dollar spent on everything else
Whether or not you find value in the earning rates will depend on your spending patterns and how well they fit with the bonus categories.
The 3x earn rate on Air Canada makes this the ideal card when purchasing cash fares on Air Canada or any of its codeshare partners, and the 2x earn rate on dining and food delivery is also the highest among all the Aeroplan-branded cards.
Meanwhile, earning 1.25 Aeroplan points per dollar spent on all other purchases is equal to the earning rates on TD’s and CIBC’s Visa Infinite Privilege cards in the same market, and represents a very strong overall return on your everyday purchases.
Perks & Benefits
As Air Canada’s premium travel credit card, the American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card leans in heavily on the Air Canada travel benefits:
- Priority boarding, priority check-in, and a free first checked bag on all Air Canada flights, for the primary and supplementary cardholders
- Complimentary visits to Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges within North America, for the primary and supplementary cardholders
- Preferred pricing when redeeming Aeroplan points for Air Canada flights
- The ability to earn 1,000 Status Qualifying Miles (SQM) and 1 Status Qualifying Segment (SQS) for every $5,000 you spend on the card
- The ability to rollover up to 50,000 SQMs and 20 eUpgrades per year
- The ability to earn an Annual Worldwide Companion Pass after spending $25,000 on the card per year
- Your Aeroplan points won’t expire for as long as you’re a cardholder
In addition to the Air Canada benefits, the card also offers some travel benefits via American Express, such as priority benefits (valet parking, fast track security, etc.) at Toronto Pearson International Airport.
As a high-end product, the American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card excels in the insurance department. Some examples of its strong coverage include:
- Emergency medical insurance: Up to $5 million of coverage for the first 15 days of your out-of-province trip, for travellers aged under 65.
- Delayed and lost baggage insurance: For delayed baggage, up to $1,000 of coverage per insured person if delayed more than 4 hours. For lost or stolen baggage, up to $1,000 of coverage total.
- Flight delay insurance: Up to $1,000 in coverage if your flight/trip is delayed more than 4 hours
- Trip cancellation / trip interruption insurance: For Trip Cancellation, up to $1,500 of coverage per insured person, with a maximum of $3,000 for all insured persons, and for Trip Interruption, up to $1,500 of coverage per insured person, with a maximum of $6,000 for all insured persons on the same covered trip.
- Auto rental collision/loss damage insurance: Comprehensive coverage for up to 48 consecutive days for cars with an MSRP of up to $85,000, which can help you save on the insurance fees that the car rental company would otherwise charge.
It’s important to note that these benefits would also apply on Aeroplan reward tickets, as long as you charge the taxes and fees of your booking to your American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card.
Additionally, the card also offers Purchase Security and Extended Warranty Protection, covering most eligible items you’ve purchased with your card should they be stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase, as well as an extended one-year warranty period compared to the manufacturer’s warranty.