Beginning November 27, 2023, Aeroplan and Uber are introducing some changes to the way points are earned with Uber rides in Canada and the US, including the introduction of new earning categories.
Upcoming Changes to Earning Aeroplan Points with Uber
Starting on November 27, Aeroplan members will see higher earning rates for two new Uber ride categories, and the introduction of a third new earning category.
The new higher-earning categories are centred around Uber’s Reserve services to and from Canadian airports, which offer riders the ability to reserve cars up to 90 days ahead of time.
The third new category highlights two newer services from Uber: Comfort Electric and Business Comfort. Comfort Electric lets you choose rides exclusively in premium electric vehicles, while Business Comfort offers riders elevated features such as longer wait times, prioritizing their ride request, and additional custom preferences.
The earning rates for these new categories are as follows:
- Earn 3 Aeroplan points per dollar spent on Uber Premium Reserve trips that depart from or arrive at an airport in Canada (non-Reserve Premium trips earn 2 Aeroplan points per dollar spent)
- Earn 2 Aeroplan points per dollar spent on Uber Reserve trips that depart from or arrive at an airport in Canada (non-Reserve trips earn 1 Aeroplan point per dollar spent)
- Earn 1 Aeroplan point per dollar spent on all Comfort Electric and Business Comfort trips (these services are limited to select cities, and have historically earned Aeroplan points within the Uber Premium category at 1 Aeroplan point per dollar spent)
Aeroplan members can also continue to earn points at unchanged earning rates in the following ride categories:
- Earn 2 Aeroplan points per dollar spent on all Uber Premium rides that depart from or arrive at an airport in Canada
- Earn 1 Aeroplan point per dollar spent on all Uber rides (excluding UberX Share) that depart from or arrive at an airport in Canada
- Earn 1 Aeroplan point per dollar spent on all Uber Premium rides taken in Canada
In addition to the aforementioned changes, you’ll no longer be able to earn Aeroplan points on US ride services, which is a notable loss for those who travel often in the US.
Aeroplan’s Partnership with Uber Continues
Aeroplan’s partnership with Uber has been gaining strength ever since its debut in late 2021.
Collecting Aeroplan points through Uber is simple, as you only need to link your Aeroplan and Uber accounts through either of the program’s apps, and you’ll immediately be ready to start earning.
In addition to earning Aeroplan points on many of the Uber ride categories, you can also earn points on eligible orders made through Uber Eats, including food delivery and pick-up, as well as grocery, alcohol, and convenience delivery, at the following rates:
- Earn 1 point per dollar spent on all Uber Eats restaurant, alcohol, convenience delivery, and food pickup orders of $40 (CAD) or more
- Earn 1 point per dollar spent on all Uber Eats grocery and retail orders made in Canada
Also, if you happen to pay for your Uber trip or Uber Eats order with an Aeroplan co-branded credit card or one that earns points that can be converted into Aeroplan points, you can double-dip by earning points through both the Uber/Aeroplan partnership and through your credit card.
You could additionally take this a step further by choosing to pay using a credit card that has category bonuses for rideshares and food delivery, such as the American Express Cobalt Card, to further stack your earnings.
If you don’t yet have an Uber Rides or Uber Eats account, you can earn 1,000 Aeroplan points by opening an account and completing your first ride and/or qualifying food order.
Beginning November 27, 2023, Uber is introducing new ride categories that allow Aeroplan members to earn more points when they book and take select trips using Uber.
The elevated earning rates target airport trips in Uber’s higher-end products, which come at a premium price.
However, if you plan on splurging on a luxurious ride to or from the airport, you’ll now earn up to 3 Aeroplan points per dollar spent, which comes in addition to any points earned on your credit card.