The PC Financial World Elite Mastercard is a fine choice for people who frequently shop at Loblaw’s brands, but otherwise has limited appeal.
Bonuses & Fees
The card currently has a welcome bonus of 20,000 PC Optimum points upon making their first purchase at a store that participates in the PC Optimum program.
Occasionally, new applicants can earn a welcome bonus of 100,000 PC Optimum points upon making their first purchase at a store that participates in the PC Optimum program. If you’re interested in the card, consider waiting for this offer to make an appearance before applying.
The card has no annual fee.
The card has category bonuses for shopping at specific stores:
- Earn at least 30 Optimum points per dollar spent at Loblaw’s brands of grocery stores and drugstores, including Loblaw’s, No Frills, Real Canadian Superstore, Your Independent Grocer, and Wholesale Club
- All Optimum members earn an additional 15 points per dollar spent at Shoppers Drug Mart and Pharmaprix, regardless of which credit card is used to pay
- Earn at least 30 Optimum points per litre at Esso and Mobil gas stations
- Earn 30 Optimum points per dollar spent at PC Travel
- Earn 10 Optimum points per dollar spent on all other purchases
While these rates cover a wide range of categories, they only apply at these particular merchants. So while the card may appear to have strong earning rates, it only benefits cardholders who already shop at those stores, or are willing to change their shopping habits.
PC Optimum points have a value of 0.1 cents per point, with occasional 50% bonus redemption events. Points can be redeemed at PC Optimum’s partner grocery stores and drugstores.
The card has a modest insurance package, including emergency medical insurance for trips up t0 10 days, and standard extended warranty and purchase protection.
However, it doesn’t offer the specific provisions that are important to travellers, and the coverage it does provide can also be found on many other cards.